U.S. News & World Report has published its Best Online Programs for 2023, which were selected from a field of more than 1,800 colleges and universities. Among these, The University of Texas Permian Basin has been recognized in two online program categories for veterans: 

U.S. News & World Report has been publishing lists of top programs, universities, and colleges since 1983 and has become the acknowledged and trusted authority on higher education rankings. UT Permian Basin has a long history of serving veterans, and we’re proud to be included among U.S. News & World Report’s top programs for those students. 

Rankings Methodology and What It Means to You 

U.S. News & World Report determines its college rankings by assessing a variety of factors. When considering programs for veterans, such programs must meet several criteria: 

  • The university offering the program must itself rank in the top 50% of institutions in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Online Programs rankings for 2023. 
  • The program must be eligible for GI Bill funding and participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program or must be presented by a public institution that offers in-state tuition rates to military veterans from other states who apply to the program. 
  • The program must meet a minimum number of enrolled students from a military background. 

Ranked programs are scored based on a set of criteria, each of which represents a specific percentage of the total ranking. The breakdown for each category is as follows: 

Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs 

  • Engagement (35%) 
  • Services and Technologies (25%) 
  • Faculty Credentials and Training (20%) 
  • Peer Assessment (20%) 

Best Online MBA Programs 

  • Engagement (30%) 
  • Peer Assessment (25%) 
  • Faculty Credentials and Training (15%) 
  • Student Excellence (15%) 
  • Services and Technologies (15%) 

For the veterans’ rankings, these general criteria account for 80% of the total score, with the remaining 20% split equally into two subcategories related to the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon funding.  

It’s notable that 50% of the Services and Technologies criterion for each category is connected to amount of student debt at graduation. For UTPB, these figures suggest a low number of students have outstanding financial aid loans upon graduating, speaking both to the broad availability of financial aid options for veterans and the overall affordability of our programs. 

Providing a Broad Range of Top-Quality Online Programs 

The U.S. News & World Report’s rankings for 2023 reflect the quality and affordability of these online programs offered by UT Permian Basin: 

Online Bachelor’s Degrees 

Online MBAs 

Making Higher Education Accessible to Veterans 

VA Education Programs 

UTPB participates in the following programs: 

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) 
  • Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30) 
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Selective Reserve (Chapter 1606) 
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) 
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31) 
  • Hazlewood Act (Texas Veterans) 

For more information, please email Military and Veteran Student Services at veterans@utpb.edu or call (432) 552-2830. 

Falcon Free 

Texas residents may qualify to earn an online bachelor’s degree from UT Permian Basin with 100% of tuition and mandatory fees covered. That’s a respected degree from an accredited institution with no loans or debt! Get details about Falcon Free here. 

Competitive Tuition Rates 

Even without the use of VA benefits or other types of financial aid, you’ll find UT Permian Basin’s per-credit-hour tuition rates among the most affordable of any accredited university.  

Experience the quality and affordability of U.S. News & World Report-ranked online degree programs from UTPB. Apply to the online degree program of your choice or speak with a UTPB academic advisor to determine which program aligns with your goals and interests.