Superintendent Certification Program Overview
Our online Superintendent Certification program is designed for principals and assistant principals who want to strengthen their skills as school leaders and promote the success of all students in their district. Students in this program will learn how to develop and maintain relationships with school boards and facilitate development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship in a school district through coursework and practicum.
This affordable 16-credit online certification program can be completed in as little as two semesters and is one of the only four-course programs in the state that maintains a practicum component throughout.
Each course in this program empowers students to build relationships with district leaders through a 40-hour practicum component. This opportunity allows students to work closely with a mentor over a longer period of time and experience a broader set of cyclical, constant, planned, and unplanned responsibilities. This valuable experience enables our students to reflect and analyze their preparation and performance as they work to transition into a district-level administration role.
Texas Superintendent Certification
This program is an approved educator preparation program in Texas. The requirements for superintendent certification in Texas are provided below:
- Master’s degree from an accredited university
- Valid principal certification
- Successful completion of an approved superintendent educator preparation program
- Completed superintendent certification application
- Successful completion of the required exam
UT Permian Basin’s College of Education is accredited by the prestigious Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Superintendent Practicum experiences are integrated into each course. The program includes more than 200 hours of field experiences applying the educational leadership skills required for district level leadership.
You must qualify for regular or conditional admission to graduate studies at UT Permian Basin to be admitted to this certificate program. Graduate studies admission requirements are below:
- Applicant holds a master’s degree
- Principal certification or waiver from TEA
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended showing the completion of bachelor’s and master’s degree
- Overall GPA calculation of at least 2.50
- Copy of service record
- Slideshow or presentation that meets the following criteria:
- Prepare a presentation or slideshow addressing your awareness of the major areas of a superintendent’s responsibility and a self-awareness with respect to your personal mission and values.
- Identify two major areas of responsibility. Why are they important? Describe how you will address these responsibilities.
- What draws you to the school leader’s role?
- Articulate three words of non-negotiable values and why they are most important.
- Offer a narrative reflection (written or voice-recorded) exploring the elements addressed above.
Official copies of transcripts must come directly from the school in a sealed envelope and should be mailed to:
UT Permian Basin
Office of Admissions
4901 E. University Blvd.
Odessa, TX 79762
Official transcripts in electronic format can be sent to email@example.com.
All supporting documents related to a graduate program, such as letters of recommendation, essays, statements of interest, resumes, professional work experience, and awards should be sent to the Graduate Studies Office:
UT Permian Basin
4901 E. University Blvd.
Odessa, TX 79762-0001
Electronic versions of supporting documents may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application fee is $40.
If you have any questions regarding the admission requirements, please email email@example.com.
We’re pleased to offer program admission on a rolling basis.
Rolling admission refers to our process of accepting and evaluating applications as we receive them and moving any applications that miss the deadline to the next semester. However, if you want to enroll in courses for a specific semester, you will need to make note of the application deadlines found below. If you don’t complete your application and submit the required materials by the deadline, your application will be rolled over to the next semester.