Frequently Asked Questions

Canvas is the course delivery system used by UT Permian Basin. Students can access assignments, reading materials, quizzes, tests, and pre-recorded content using this system. Interactive discussion boards are available 24 hours per day for students to engage with classmates and instructors.

You will register for your classes at Prior to registering for classes, you should schedule a meeting with an online academic advisor to determine what coursework will be required and how to map out your education.

You can schedule time with an online academic advisor by emailing

You can log in to Canvas from the following areas:

  • (links to Email, Office 365, Library, Course Login, Falcon link are at the top of the page)
  • is the direct link to Canvas.

The following resources should help you navigate Canvas:

Technical Requirements

Basic Computer Specifications for Canvas

What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas? Canvas answers this question best and with the most up-to-date information in the Canvas Guides at

Canvas Support Hotline is available inside of Canvas under Help on the side menu. Users can call 866-437-0867.

FAQs for Browser Support in Canvas

If you need assistance:

  • Call Canvas Help 24/7 at 1 (866) 437-0867 (toll free).
  • Use Help in Canvas for Chat/Submit a ticket.
  • Contact UTPB at for and UTPB email problems.
  • Email if you are totally lost about where to go for help. FalconOnline staff are here to help.

Courses are generally asynchronous. However, some courses may have synchronous elements and practicum requirements within your program.

Due to COVID-19, there may be other course delivery directives related to your courses.

Please contact your program’s coordinator for specific information regarding your courses.

Each semester is 16 weeks long, but most of our online courses are 8 weeks long (7 weeks in the summer). The 8 weeks semesters for most online students are divided into Semester A and Semester B.

The amount of time it takes to complete your online degree varies by program. It depends on the program you are enrolled in, whether you are transferring any credits, and the credit hours you take each semester.

Some of our online programs can be completed in as little as eight months when taking a full-time course load, provided you’ve met any other general course requirements. For more information about the estimated time it may take to complete your degree, visit the programs page.

Difficulty level will depend on the courses within the program and how comfortable you are with each subject.

You aren’t graded solely on exams, but also your performance on discussion boards, assignments, and papers. We recommend reaching out to your instructor or online program coordinator for more insight on the level of class difficulty.

The number of hours you’ll need to study each week will vary by class and program. However, we estimate that online students spend three to five hours studying per class, per week.

The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a program designed to help the University determine if you are ready for college-level coursework in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. New students registering for their first class at UT Permian Basin must meet TSI requirements prior to registering. Students will fall into the following categories:

  • Met the requirement: Students who have already taken the TSI test or who are transferring credit for a math, reading, and/or writing class. This demonstrates that they have met the requirement.
  • Exempt: Students can be exempt from the TSI requirement based on scores from standardized tests or other life experiences.
  • Not exempt but have taken required tests: All students who have not met the TSI requirements or have an exemption must take the TSI test. If a student does not pass the required sections of the test, their advisor will use their test scores to determine what remedial classes they should be placed in.
  • Not exempt and have not completed required tests: All students who have not met the TSI requirements or have an exemption must take the TSI test before they can register.

To find out if you whether you are exempt from the TSI Assessment: 

Students who need to take the exam can register for it here:

Texas students may take the TSI exam at any local testing center. Out-of-state students may be able to contact local testing centers to see if those centers can proctor the exam. Unofficial copies of scores are accepted.

If you find that you have a TSI hold and you believe you have met the requirements, please email the registrar’s office by emailing

Admission requirements vary by program type. Please visit the admissions page for general admission requirements for undergraduate, graduate, and international students or your program’s page for specific admission requirements.

Rolling admission refers to our process of accepting and evaluating applications as we receive them and moving any applications that miss the deadline to the next semester. This policy offers students flexibility and a wider application window.

Application deadlines still exist for any given semester, but you will not need to re-apply if you don’t submit all of the required documents in time. Instead, your application will automatically be rolled over to the next semester.

Admission requirements vary by program. Please note that some programs offer waivers if students meet certain criteria. Please refer to your program for information on test requirements and waivers.

Transfer credit is dependent upon many factors. Credits considered eligible for transfer must be earned from a regionally accredited college or university. Once all required transcripts have been submitted, the university will conduct an evaluation to determine if any credits are applicable/eligible for transfer.

To find out what courses may transfer to your degree before you apply, you can use our transfer calculator tool.

Questions can be referred to

If you have any issues submitting your application or required materials via GoApplyTexas, please email When reaching out to GoApplyTexas directly, you will need to provide your application ID number and a description of the issue you’re experiencing when trying to submit your application or any required documents. Your application ID number can be found on your GoApplyTexas application.

Online undergraduate and graduate degree programs are eligible for federal financial aid. Your first step should be to complete a FAFSA. UT Permian Basin’s school code is 009930.

Please visit our financial aid page for more information.

UT Permian Basin participates in the following VA education programs:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill ® (Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill ® (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill ® Selective Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)
  • Hazlewood Act (Texas Veterans)

For more information, please contact Military and Veteran Student Services.

All payments are made through the portal.

No, students pay the same tuition regardless of their location.

Online students have access to UT Permian Basin’s library. The library can be accessed at

UTPB has partnered with Parchment to provide students with both electronic and paper transcripts. Students who are currently enrolled can access the transcript ordering site through their portal. Students who are not currently enrolled can still use this service, but they will need to self-register through UTPB’s Parchment storefront.

Delivery Times

  • Electronic transcripts should be received within 24 hours after they are ordered.
  • Paper transcripts should be processed by the Registrar’s Office the next business day after they are ordered. Students should allow 7-10 business days for paper transcripts to be received.

Current Students

  • Students who are currently enrolled should login through their portal.
  • Select My Academics and then select Order Official Transcript. This is located on the orange bar at the top of your portal.
  • This will take you to the Parchment transcript ordering site where you will place your order and pay for your transcript.

Former Students

Students who no longer have access to their account in should go directly to the UTPB Parchment Storefront and self-register to order their transcripts. Please remember, current and former students cannot receive transcripts or grade reports if their records have been placed on hold for any reason. Students can check their status by emailing or calling the Office of Student Accounts (432-552-2706) or by emailing or calling the Office of the Registrar (432-552-2635).

There are a few different options available for online students who need help:

  • UTPB Success Center
    The UT Permian Basin Success Center is your one-stop shop for tutoring and mentors. All services are available online. If you need a tutor or help with test taking, note taking, or time management, please contact

  • Online Writing Lab
    Writing assistance is available to online students via email. Simply send your draft to and a writing tutor will review it and email you with feedback to help you improve your paper. Response times are about 48 hours, excluding weekends.

  • SMARTHINKING Online Tutoring
    Online tutoring is a resource available to all students. Tutoring is available 24/7 with professionals provided by SMARTHINKING. You can access this resource from the link in your Canvas account.

Undergraduate Student Graduation Procedures

Graduation Application Process:

  1. Please meet/contact your faculty advisor to update and finalize your degree plan. This will help ensure that you have met or will meet all the requirements in order to graduate from your major of study.
  2. You must login to your student email through Office 365 in order to be able to submit the application. Internet Explorer is the recommended Internet browser. If you are unable to access your student email, please visit
  3. Fill out the undergraduate graduation application: UT Permian Basin Undergraduate Graduation Application
  4. Contact your advisor and send/provide them with the degree check worksheet. Undergraduate Degree Check Worksheet
  5. Fill out the UT Permian Basin Graduating Senior Questionnaire and the Survey:
    UT Permian Basin Graduating Senior Questionnaire (You must login to your UT Permian Basin Microsoft Office portal to access the questionnaire.)
    UT Permian Basin Graduating Senior Survey
  6. A graduation fee of $25 will be placed onto your MyUTPB account. Pay the fee online through your account.

Graduate Student Graduation Procedures

Graduation Application Process:

  1. Please contact your faculty advisor to update and finalize your degree plan, which must be submitted to the Graduate Studies Office. This will help ensure that you have met or will meet all the requirements in order to graduate from your major of study.
  2. You must login to your student email through Office 365 in order to be able to submit the application. Internet Explorer is the recommended Internet browser. If you are unable to access your student email, please visit
  3. Fill out the graduate graduation application for the semester you plan on graduating: UT Permian Basin Graduate Graduation Application (You must login to your UT Permian Basin Microsoft Office portal to access the application.)
  4. A graduation application fee of $50 will be placed on your MyUTPB account. Pay the fee online through your account.

Registering In-Absentia

All students who are graduating must be registered at UT Permian Basin during the semester they intend to graduate. If all UT Permian Basin coursework has been completed, the applicant must be registered In-Absentia.

Changing Your Graduation Date

If your plans to graduate change, you must submit a signed and dated letter to the Registrar’s Office. You will also need to notify your advisor and the Graduate Studies Office.

Sending All Transcripts

If you are taking a course at another institution this semester, you will need to request that an official transcript be sent to the UT Permian Basin Office of Admissions immediately upon completion. Your diploma will not be released until an official transcript showing the successful completion of that course has been received by the University.

Clearing Your Holds

Students who have overdue financial obligations to the university cannot receive a diploma.

Undergraduate students who wish to change their program will need to complete an Undergraduate Change of Major Request and return it to  

Graduate students who wish to change their program will need to complete Graduate Change of Program Request and return it to  

Your new program or major may require additional information, such as letters of recommendation, essays, a new application, new test scores, etc. There is no guarantee that you will be admitted to the new program or major or that the courses you completed will transfer. If you are working toward a specific certification, a change in program or major may impact certification requirements. We recommend contacting an advisor in the new program before deciding to change your program.