What is the meaning of culture? How is it defined? Is it static? Is it real? We will visit the topics in the Sociology of Culture. To what extent do culture undergo changes? In this course we build up deep understanding about cultural variation.
What is the meaning of culture? How it is defined? Is it Static? Is it real? We will visit the topics in the Sociology of Culture. To what extend do culture undergo changes?
Culture consists of the beliefs, behaviors, objects, and other characteristics common to the members of a particular group or society. Recall Clifford Geertz definition of culture: "an historically transmitted pattern of meanings embodied in symbols, a system of inherited conceptions expressed in symbolic forms by means of which men communicate, perpetuate, and develop their knowledge about the attitudes toward life.” In this course, we build up deep understanding about cultural variation.
“Culture has a prominent power on every single individual and contributes to who he or she is, what they believe, what certain rituals are performed, how they behave, how they eat, and why they act in definite ways” (Ziyanak & Jordan, 2018, p.92).
Course Credits: 3
Student Learning Outcomes
- Discuss the social effects of culture
- Learn patterns of living and the set of symbolic resources in a society
- Understand Is culture seen as embedded in other aspects of social life, or treated as analytically Isolated, a separate sphere?
- Understand Is culture seen as a driver of action or tools for the actor? Do we own culture or does it own us?
- Examine Cultural policy!
- Evaluate culture and society using various sociological perspectives.