Examination and evaluation practices issues and trends in institutional corrections. Emphasis is on administration organization and effectiveness of incarceration.
Course Credits: 3
Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe the growth of the U.S. corrections system in the last 40 years and discuss at least three issues raised by that growth.
- Define the system's framework and explain why it is useful.
- Describe the history of the jail and its current function in the criminal justice system.
- Describe the history and development of probation, including how it is organized today.
- Critically assess the future of probation, intermediate sanctions, and community corrections.
- Discuss the goals of incarceration.
- Explain the steps taken to ease the offender’s reentry into the community.
- Identify four substantial forces that face corrections and describe their importance.