Modern applications of mathematics including graph theory, optimization, data organization, and social decision models.
Course Credits: 3
Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe sets and set operations using Venn Diagrams.
- Model a simple statistical/probabilistic situation as a sample space with probability function.
- Apply rules of probability.
- Apply permutations, combinations, and other basic counting techniques to real-life situations.
- Compute expected value for a simple random variable.
- Calculate simple interest and compound interest.
- Apply formulas for schemes of saving and layaway/mortgage plans.
- Distinguish between aspects of personal finance (such as emergency funds, essential purchases, and wealth creation).
- Apply the mathematics of debt to issues of personal finance and personal financial planning.