This course provides a critical analysis of materials in Spanish available for teaching science, social studies, and math; a survey of strategies for teaching science, social studies, and math to Spanish speakers.
Course Credits: 3
Prerequisites: Admission to UTPB; admission to graduate studies; in addition to the College of Education requirements, students seeking teacher certification in Texas and in bilingual education as a part of the Master of Arts in Education/Bilingual/ESL must demonstrate proficiency in Spanish by passing the Texas Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT). If you are certified in bilingual education in Texas, this requirement is waived.
Student Learning Outcomes
- The student will research and explore language assessments for second languages learners in different content areas creating different ways to assess.
- The student will write lesson plans for English language learners addressing the different content areas of science, math, and social studies.
- The student will gain an understanding of the development of literacy and biliteracy and apply them in the different content areas.
- The student will gain an understanding of language assessment instruments.
- The student will produce sentences in the native language using academic vocabulary from STEM areas and social studies.
- The student will demonstrate knowledge of the theories on language development through the school years.