This course Practicum in Bilingual/ESL EDBI 6392.783 is a course designed for students to acquire and use skills to diagnose second language learners (SLLs) and to prescribe individualized instruction in a practicum setting.
Course Credits: 3
Prerequisites: Admission to UTPB; admission to graduate studies; in addition to the College of Education requirements, students seeking teacher certification in Texas and in bilingual education as a part of the Master of Arts in Education/Bilingual/ESL must apply to the certification program and take the additional coursework; after completing the program, demonstrate proficiency in Spanish by passing the Texas Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT).
Student Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Create an appropriate learning environment for bilingual and ESL classrooms.
- Incorporate knowledge of diversity in planning and delivering instruction.
- Highlight consciousness of current trends in ESL and bilingual instruction to participants.
- Identify different models of bilingual/ESL.
- Plan for and assess student learning.
- Apply knowledge about child and adolescent development.
- Incorporate technology in planning and delivering instruction.