The purpose of this course is for students to investigate, appraise, and apply evidence-based practices for early intervention of students with Autism Spectrum Disorder and evaluate strategies for promoting parent education, parent training, and parent involvement in early childhood education.
Course Credits: 3
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Evaluate appropriate screening measures to use for young children (<4 yrs) in order to identify ASD.
- Identify the elements of an Individual Service Family Plan in order to generate and plan based on child characteristics and family needs.
- Analyze and critique evidence-based practices in order to justify their use according to an individual child’s needs.
- Evaluate a child’s individual needs in order to formulate a transition plan that will promote inclusion in the least restrictive environment.
- Evaluate a variety of family support services in order to make appropriate recommendations to families of children with ASD.
- Evaluate effective strategies in order to develop appropriate parent training modules to promote education and parent involvement for parents of children with ASD.