This course is designed to introduce students to the theory and practice of personnel administration in the public sector, which includes employment at all levels of government and community agencies. In addition, basic principles of personnel management encountered in the nonprofit and private sectors will be addressed. The course contains both a political and a managerial perspective as well as a theoretical dimension and an applied dimension.
Course Credits: 3
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and discuss the major issues of public personnel management.
- Describe the legal, political, and managerial context of public personnel management.
- Trace the evolution of personnel management in the public sector.
- Assimilate the impact of civil service reforms on public personnel management.
- Develop analytical skills in interpreting and analyzing legal and practical cases in the field.