Study of the basics of physical and chemical makeup of hydrocarbon mixtures how the mixtures are affected by temperature and pressure and the techniques for accurate measurement of petroleum products (based on API Petroleum Measurement Standards).
Course Credits: 3
Prerequisites: MATH 1324 or equivalent or consent of instructor.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Understand phase behavior both downhole and during fluid processing at the surface
- Explain the basic organic chemistry and compounds of petroleum fluids
- Show familiarity with the five reservoir fluid types and properties of oilfield water
- Describe hydrate formation and inhibition along with gas dehydration and conditioning
- Demonstrate knowledge of measurement techniques for petroleum products