Students explore psychological, cognitive, and methodological issues in reading currently discussed and researched in scholarly journals, professional books, and TEA publications. Topics may include phonemic awareness, phonics, comprehensive literacy, adult literacy, and intervention strategies to build comprehension in struggling readers. A tutorial component is included in the course.
Course Credits: 3
Prerequisites: EDRD 6317, 6318, 6319, or permission of instructor.
- Identify current issues in literacy.
- Describe a struggling reader.
- Apply intervention strategies for struggling readers.
- Develop research skills in order to view the teaching profession as a teacher researcher.
- Practice technology skills through collaboration.
This course addresses TEA Reading Specialist Standards I, II and IV and ILA Reading Specialist Standards 1.1, 1.4, 2.3 and 5.3.